Cook (North Decatur 37.5 hours/week)
Prepares hot and cold food items to provide to our patients, retail areas, doctors lounge and catered events.
- Prepares all hot foods (both regular/modified diets) in a nutritious and appetizing manner for patients so that patients will receive food as prescribed by physician
- Prepares food for cafeteria and catering functions
- Provides excellence in customer service through courteous and timely meal delivery while accurately following specific diet orders prescribed to each patient
- Performs a variety of tasks so that the patient receives the correct supplement or tube feeding and at the correct time.
- Ensures that work performed results in meals served to patients on time, as ordered, at the correct time and temperature and are attractively presented
- Performs tasks involved in maintaining a clean work environment
- Organizes time, supplies, and equipment efficiently and effectively
- Removes trash and performs general cleaning of surfaces, food lines and any other area neededStocks items needed in working areas, such as, condiments, disposables and anything as else needed and properly stores it all
- Handles hot pans of food
- Insures proper rotation of stock
- Adheres to temperature and sanitation standards
- Follows sanitary and safe work procedures in performing tasks.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement activities and teams.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
- High school diploma or vocational training in food service
- Minimum of 2 years of institutional food service experience
- Serv Safe (preferred)
- Demonstrates required competencies
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- High degree of self-motivation and directional initiative
- Must be able to read menus and recipes
- Must have basic knowledge of regular and modified diets
- Must be able to learn how to check and modify patient menus
- Must be able to operate food service equipment such as, the dishmachine, coffee and tea urns, toaster, microwave and blender
- Manual dexterity
- Must be courteous and have tact in dealing with patrons
- Some initiative and judgement involved in planning duties to meet function schedules
- Must be mentally and physically quick in order to handle demands during mealtimes
- Pleasant phone manners
- Professional appearance and organizational skills
- Ability to see, read, write, speak and follow written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by speaking clearly and distinctly in English
- Skill and ability to communicate verbally, including public speaking, and in writing
- Skill and ability to make decisions and solve problems by identifying creative options and/or solutions
- Skill and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities within a fast paced environment
- Skill and ability to anticipate, manage, and adapt to change
- Skill and ability to operate independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Skill and ability to take direction and complete assigned tasks
Reports to: Group Lead/Production Supervisor/Executive Chef/ Director
Positions Supervised: none