The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for responding to the needs of clients, both external and internal, in the following two of the three following areas: Accessioning and Phlebotomy, and/or and Microbiology Set-up. Duties include transport of specimens to the laboratory for testing and organization of patient specimens for testing.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
- Phlebotomy duties include collecting blood from all age groups.
- Transports specimens to the laboratory for testing, either via the tube system or on foot.
- Accessioning duties include assisting technical personnel in preparation, organization of patient specimens for testing liaise and between the laboratory and outpatient customers
- Performs waived tests, if certified, and checked off by designated technical personnel.
- Corresponds with unit staff and physicians in order to place the appropriate test orders, give test results or transfer to the appropriate technical area.
- Conducts primary plating of microbiology samples for future testing.
- Performs job duties in accordance with the tenets of the laboratory’s mission and goals.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
· High school graduate or high school/college student with a good academic record.
· Hillandale lab requires Phlebotomy Certification from ASCP or NHA to work in Accessioning.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
· Must have very good customer service skills with internal and external customers.
· Must possess good communication, computer and clerical skills
- Performs skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies specific to patient population served.