Manager, Patient Financial and Integration Applications
Responsible for managing the personnel, daily operations, projects and daily maintenance/monitoring activities for the patient financial and Integration staff. Responsible for coordinating the teams application(s) system analysis, project deployment and support activities. Develops staff assignments, team structure, and directs/supervises their activities. Review and evaluate staffs work and prepares performance evaluations. Responsible for the team’s customer service excellence, making decisions on personnel actions (hiring, terminations, promotions, etc.) and upholding the code of conduct policy. Provides input to department level direction regarding standards, policies, budget constraints, employee and vendor relations. Functions as a critical liaison between IT and the corporate level departments which include, but may not be limited to, patient scheduling, registration, medical records, and business office processes. Primary responsibility is to optimize the workflow across the financial cycle functions leveraging all existing software tools and recommending workflow changes, staff cross-training, organizational design optimization, system configuration changes, and potentially new software/modules. This position will also assist in defining system workflow scope and objectives through research and fact finding combined with an understanding of applicable business/integration systems and industry best practices. Investigates solutions to issues and presents recommendations to both IT and Financial cycle management. Develops and maintains workflow, training, use, methodologies for new employee orientation, and business continuity documentation as necessary. Responsible for defining the use of current software tools toward department workflow optimization while maintaining knowledge of emerging changes in the financial cycle industry.
- Coordinates both the business hours and on call support for patient financial and Integration teams on an on-going basis.
- Manages team personnel and activities to build, update and maintain all applications, programs, screens and databases as appropriate for areas of responsibility.
- Builds strong relationships with key department leaders and staff. Holds regularly scheduled meetings with key departments to provide status reporting, prioritize projects/tasks, and receive feedback. Provides forums for departments and IT for mutual goal sharing, service level monitoring and education on policies and procedures.
- Monitors flow of change/task/help tickets within the service delivery process and facilitates resolution. Serves as an escalation point for service recovery process.
- Accountable for documenting and tracking production application flow, setting standards, implementing controls and following procedures to maintain systems and ensuring application systems analysts do the same.
- Serves as mentor or teacher to others on complex application tasks.
- Provides vendor management services on behalf of the department.
- Partners with customer departments to deploy service delivery model and super user concept.
- Acts as an intermediary between technology services and the patient financial departments to provide a single point of contact to customer base.
- Manages and coordinates new system implementations/upgrades, enhancements/patches to the existing patient financial/integration systems and ensures documentation of modifications is maintained.
- Manages system downtimes with vendors and communication to customers.
- Develops and implements new ideas for improvement in conjunction with user areas. Offers solutions on how to improve workflow.
- Ensures that all changes are tested and that sign off is obtained from the user department. Ensures users are educated on all changes. Deploys IT change control process.
- Facilitates communication to/between customer and IT department(s) and other areas. Attends inter-department committee meetings as an IT representative.
- Manages applications analysts and project coordinators in developing/maintaining project plans, including tasks, owners and scheduled dates for projects. Responsible for preparing project plans and maintaining all project management documentation for projects within section and/or working with the IT project manager on such documents.
- Manages all aspects of system lifecycle including requirements elicitation, design, prototype, coding, testing and implementation.
- Leads implementation of detailed tasks as required within the work plan for assigned projects. Accountable for due dates, driving tasks to successful completion and satisfactory customer sign off. Responsible for coordinating the test, training and go live phases.
- Prepares and delivers both technical and management oriented presentations.
- Acts as escalation manager in the after hour call coverage rotation for clinical/financial/integration/reporting applications.
- Keeps abreast of innovations in technology and clinical practices; make recommendations on new systems and solutions.
- Follows change management, project management and all other IT standards.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
-Bachelor’s degree in CIS, Math, Finance/Business or other relevant area
-Must have a minimum of 6+ health care business office work experience.
-Must have a minimum of 5 years personnel management experience.
-Must have a minimum of 6+ patient financial systems experience in patient financial health care.
Desired/preferred: Master’s degree in a business. Specific coordination or management work experience in any area of billing cycle, HIM, business office at an acute care facility. Experience with a consulting firm or software vendor implementing patient financial systems.
Note: Relevant experience includes experience in and understanding of one or more of the following: General ledger/Accounts Payable, Patient Management, Patient Financial Services, Decision Support, Contract Management, and Project Management.
Degree of Supervision Received: Minimal, goal oriented. This is a leadership position where the incumbent is expected to exhibit an independent work ethic.
Degree of Supervision Given to Others: Position has direct reports who are responsible for meeting goals.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
· Must possess an understanding and experience in business office workflow
· Must possess an understanding of and experience in implementing patient financial applications
· Must have experience in executing EHR upgrades
· Must possess strong decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation.
· Must possess strong project leadership and management skills particularly within the HIT space
· Must have strong written and oral communication skills to prepare and communicate programming plans and procedures as well as to interact with all levels within the company.
· Must have an understanding of change management methodology; preferably in alignment with ITIL practices.
· Knowledge of project management techniques and tools.
· Must have overall working knowledge of application system integration.
Director Patient IT Applications