Medical Technologist Specialis
The Technical Specialist collaborates with the Lab Manager and other administrative and technical personnel to ensure 24 hour laboratory service. Performs job duties in accordance with Lab and hospital procedures, policies and protocols. Supports hospital and laboratory objectives and goals.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
- Coordinates with other departmental partners on laboratory testing requirements and resolves laboratory related problems.
- Works directly with nursing areas, other hospital departments and shift personnel to improve customer service and accomplish mutually productive solutions.
- Aware of all reference labs performing testing and current daily operational functions in order to anticipate, plan and help resolve incidents which occur.
- Monitors service level quality and initiates improvements.
- Troubleshoots instruments and service issues, including minor repairs and laboratory testing with few errors.
- Assumes responsibility of decision making to use backup methods or possibly sending work to reference labs.
- Responsible for timely documentation of system problems or personnel problems to appropriate supervisors.
- Performs and documents Quality Control as required in Procedure Manual.
- Ensures adequate supplies and reagents for functions in area.
- In collaboration with the Lab Manager and schedulers, schedules partners on shift for optimal work flow and technical expertise
- Responsible for competency assessment of technical staff, including reviews and documentation.
- Attends departmental meetings and participates in discussions regarding procedural changes and general laboratory planning as required.
- Holds regular huddles to communicate changes and hear and respond to partner’s concerns.
- Responds to request for schedule change for departmental functioning and emergency needs.
- Trains shift’s partners on performance expectations and all new procedures/equipment and documents same.
- Participate in partner hiring process by interviewing potential candidates.
- Manages his/her designated department to meet budgetary requirement.
- Adheres to all laboratory safety policies, exposure control, infection control, hazardous materials, chemical hygiene, and fire.
- Responds appropriately to fire, disaster, and other emergency preparedness drills.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
- Participates in timekeeper duties as needed.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
· Should have at least two (2) years work experience in a clinical laboratory.
· ASCP registry or registry eligible or equivalent registry (AMT, NCA, CLS, AABB).
· Additional courses in personnel management and business administration would be helpful but are not essential.
· Must meet all requirements prescribed by the Georgia Department of Human Resources for supervisory laboratory personnel
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
· Understands and displays knowledge of position and department in conjunction with hospital and laboratory mission and goals
· General knowledge of laboratory tests performed and age related normal values or special needs
· Knows how to gather data necessary for quality assurance measurement and customer satisfaction investigation and assists in developing process improvement plans.
· Demonstrates the ability to establish priorities and work efficiently
· Demonstrates adequate computer skills with all applicable computer programs
· Makes good judgments and resolve crisis without sacrificing integrity or compromising quality
· Working knowledge of office procedures and office management.
· Strong and effective leadership skills
· Ability to interact positively with people from all organizational levels
· Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Good organization skills and attention to details and accuracy.
· Ability to coordinate and handle multiple priorities.
· Ability to work under pressure on a variety of projects simultaneously.
· Demonstrated problem solving skills and self-starting skills.
· Ability to understand the work environment and competing priorities in conjunction with developing/meeting project goals
- Performs skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
- Collaborates with Core Lab Manager to perform employee annual evaluations.
- Participates in inspections by assisting as needed.
Reports to: Lab Manager
Positions Supervised: Laboratory Staff