Patient Access Representative
Summary of Job Functions:
To perform registration, admission, pre-admission, reception and discharge functions for all patients having services rendered throughout the healthcare system. Registrars must obtain complete and accurate patient demographic information, select the correct insurance plan and enter information completely and accurately into the Allscripts system. Registrars must be able to appropriately interpret physician orders, medical terminology and insurance cards while maintaining superior service excellence. Registrars must adhere with all state and federal regulations such as EMTALA and HIPPA requirements and appropriately collect co-payments and deductibles from patients.
Registrars must have knowledge and understanding of the healthcare systems insurance verification application (RevRunner), document imaging system (Sovera), Medicare verification system (Allscripts) and various other registration applications. Registrars must also be able to determine and verify patients’ insurance coverage and eligibility for services as well as understand admission types. Registrars must maintain appropriate monthly quality assurance accuracy rate as determined by the department and complete all required annual hospital and quarterly departmental training requirements timely.
Registrars must understand they are initiators of patient records and must understand the revenue cycle process. Registrars will work closely with all Patient Access and Revenue Cycle staff, Case Management, Nursing Services, Surgical Services, Labor and Delivery, and Emergency Department Clinical staff. Registrars will also collaborate with Decatur and Hillandale Patient Access staff, Laboratory Services, Behavioral Health, Imaging Services, and Diagnostic Treatment Center staff.
- Accurately and completely register and admit patients having services, treatment or procedures in the healthcare system.
- Collecting patient financial responsibilities and provide receipts to patients.
- Maintain acceptable quality assurance rate during monthly quality assurance reviews.
- Complete all hospital and departmental annual or quarterly training requirements timely.
- Provide service excellence during every patient encounter or when providing internal customer service.
- High School Education, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 2-3 years of job related experience preferred
- CPAR preferred
- Knowledge of Third Party payers, billing requirements, and reimbursement methods
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Professional appearance
- Good PC software skills
- Knowledge of multi-registration and front-end processing
- Handle incoming calls professionally and timely
Reports to: Patient Access Management Team
Extent of Supervision Received: Extensive