The Speech Therapist is responsible for appropriately managing the therapeutic needs of patients with speech, language, voice and fluency disorders through independent utilization of critical decision-making. Provides preventive, rehabilitative, adaptive and palliative care to both inpatients and outpatients.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
- Conducts patient evaluation and assessment through the collection of comprehensive data necessary to evaluate patient needs accurately.
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plan of care for patients.
- Formulates realistic short term and long term treatment goals in conjunction with the patient/family. Establishes time frames for goal achievement.
- Counsels and educates patients/family members about speech, language, and swallowing disorders and the psychological and social effects.
- Monitors patient progress and revises treatment plans as needed.
- Collaborates with nursing staff and other members of the health care team regarding each patient.
- Maintains appropriate documentation on the patient medical record, all Speech Pathology treatments, assessments, interpretations and evaluations performed for the inpatient and outpatient populations.
- Arranges referral of patients for additional services, consulting with attending physician as appropriate.
- Responsible for orienting new employees and ensuring competency of individuals under the Speech Therapist supervision to provide delivery of care.
- Maintains patient safety by providing appropriate level of supervision.
- Facilities Rehab Services and DeKalb Medical overviews of objectives through maintenance of professional standards.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Reports to: Program Supervisor and Rehab Manager
Positions Supervised: Rehab Aides, Rehab Services Transporters, and Speech Therapy Students